At Sugarman we believe everyone’s mental health is just as important as their physical health. As part of our commitment to our employees’ wellbeing, we have appointed Mental Health First Aiders (MHFA) across our organisation to provide support to individuals who are experiencing poor mental health and/ or emotional distress.
Our MHFAs have completed a recognised, accredited training course by MHFA England to equip them to:
- Have an understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing;
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues;
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress;
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgmental listening; and
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support, whether through self-help resources, the employer, or the NHS.
Our MHFAs are not qualified therapists or psychiatrists but are there to provide non-judgemental listening and guidance to our employees.
Esme Bianchi-Barry, CEO of Sugarman, who is leading on the initiative, said: “We are committed to ensuring our employees, who may be struggling with their mental health, have the right level of support and guidance in place.
“Our Executive Team recognises the need for wellbeing support, especially during the current pandemic. Our dedicated team of first aiders will promote a workplace culture where staff are free to discuss mental health issues openly and feel supported by their colleagues and Employer when they do so.”